Tom Vandenbogaerde PhD
Senior Physiologist at Swimming Australia
Paul Laursen is the CEO and co-founder of both HIIT Science and Athletica. He was formerly employed as Physiology Manager for High Performance Sport New Zealand for London and Rio Olympic cycles. He’s been an Adjunct Professor of Exercise Physiology at Auckland University of Technology since 2009, publishing over 140 refereed manuscripts, with more than 12000 citations. A triathlete himself competing in 17 Ironman races, he now coaches some of the world’s best triathletes, is advisor for the UBCO varsity teams, in addition to supporting his young daughter’s sport teams in the community of Revelstoke, BC, Canada.
• Senior Physiologist based on the Gold Coast in Australia, employed by the Australian Institute of Sport (2015-2018) and Swimming Australia (from June 2018).
• Nine years in New Zealand working with international-level swimmers and their coaches, as PhD student (2006-2009), and Performance Physiologist for the New Zealand Academy of Sport (2009-2011) and High Performance Sport New Zealand (2011-2015).
• Worked closely with twelve swim coaches who have produced multiple Olympic and/or World Championships Medals.
• Key staff member of many national and international National Team Camps for Swimming Australia and Swimming New Zealand.
• Part of the New Zealand Olympic Team in Beijing and London, and of the New Zealand Swim Team at all World Championships, Commonwealth Games and Pan Pacific Games from 2007 to 2014.
• Substantial swim coaching experience, including at the highest level
Master in Physical Education, Ghent University, Belgium, 2001