Tom Vandenbogaerde PhD
Senior Physiologist at Swimming Australia
Tom Vandenbogaerde is an applied physiologist with 12 years’ experience working in elite sport. He is passionate about thinking, planning, programming and monitoring to ensure coaches and athletes leave no stones unturned in their Olympic preparations.
• Senior Physiologist based on the Gold Coast in Australia, employed by the Australian Institute of Sport (2015-2018) and Swimming Australia (from June 2018).
• Nine years in New Zealand working with international-level swimmers and their coaches, as PhD student (2006-2009), and Performance Physiologist for the New Zealand Academy of Sport (2009-2011) and High Performance Sport New Zealand (2011-2015).
• Worked closely with twelve swim coaches who have produced multiple Olympic and/or World Championships Medals.
• Key staff member of many national and international National Team Camps for Swimming Australia and Swimming New Zealand.
• Part of the New Zealand Olympic Team in Beijing and London, and of the New Zealand Swim Team at all World Championships, Commonwealth Games and Pan Pacific Games from 2007 to 2014.
• Substantial swim coaching experience, including at the highest level.
PhD under supervision of world renowned sport scientist and statistics Professor Will Hopkins. AUT University, New Zealand, 2010
Master in Physical Education, Ghent University, Belgium, 2001